Pages

08 April 2009

Loose Lids Sink Shirts

There is a Starbucks-style cafe about 20 metres from my apartment.

I went there this morning to get a coffee on my way to work. This required 10 minutes and 6 staff:

- A takes the order and tells B and C about it
- A stares at me while B makes the coffee
- C prints the bill and hands it to D. C starts staring at me
- B finishes making the coffee, puts it on the counter and starts starting at me
- D carries the bill from the till to me. D stares at my wallet while I fumble for change.
- E has spent the whole time staring at me, occasionally leaning on A.

The funny thing is that by now, I hardly notice all this.

I grabbed my coffee, smiled as a F opened the door for me and jumped into a cab.

A few sips in, and half way to work, I realised that the lid had not been properly secured and the coffee had spillled all the way down my shirt and tie. So I asked the driver to turn around so I could go home and change. 

I got home, the driver waited while I changed, then I took my caffeinated shirt and tie back in, as well as the coffee whose lid I had re-loosened for effect. 

They say one should never get angry in Vietnam. So I did not get angry. I was pointed. Surely one can be pointed in Vietnam?

On entering the cafe, I realise that the last 10 minutes has resulted in a complete reshuffle of roles and B is now on the till. I put my shirt and tie on the counter. B couldn't be less interested. I ask them to launder my shirt and tie. B's interest finds a new low. 

I stop F from making me a new coffee as B reaches into the till and hands me a refund. As I take my money and quickly turn for the door (opened now by C), I ignore B's attempts to hand me my shirt and tie back.

As the cab pulls away I remember buying the shirt for $250 and the tie for $200. What was I thinking

I'm not looking forward to the retrieval attempt tonight.

No comments: