Pages

12 April 2009

Two-timin' Trang

Given Trang's sticky fingers and low motivation levels, I arranged a meeting with another language teacher last Wednesday night.

Her name is Hoa. She seemed nice on the phone. Good English skills and a healthy (if random) dose of giggles.

She was 10 minutes early. I was 5 minutes late. It was supposed to be the other way around. She called me on arrival to say "Hi it's me Hoa where are you the guard won't let me in and I'm on the street are you still coming how far are you away thanks come soon thanks."

When I arrive she's sitting on the couch in the lobby area. She seems quite comfortable.

Me: "Sorry I'm late. Nice to meet you. How are you?"

Hoa: "I'm cold. Cold from waiting for you."

Me: "But it's not cold outside."

Hoa: "Yes but I've been riding my motorcycle. So I'm cold."

I unlock the door and we go inside. She walks in and says "You should not live alone here. Why do you live alone. That is not good." I tell her that's the way it is, to which she replies "That is not good."

She then explains that her rates are $10/hour and when I ask her why it is so expensive she tells me to go to her web site and it's all there. She then asks me if I've ever learnt Vietnamese before. I say no. She screws up her face. I say is there anything wrong. She laughs and says no, there's nothing wrong, but are you sure you've never learnt before? ... nothing ever? No, I say, I'm afraid not; nothing. 

"Oh ... no. Oh no."

-- "Oh no? Why oh no?"

"No. No Oh no. Just oh."

-- "No? Oh. Oh."

I miss Trang.

No comments: