Pages

17 July 2009

Explosive welcome

It seems that my first visit to Jakarta has been marred by controversy.

My company uses 2 hotels in Jakarta: the Ritz Carlton and the Shangri-La. I'm staying in the Shangri-La.

In the lobby this morning, waiting for a cab, my colleague checked his Blackberry:

Him: "I just heard a bomb went off at the Ritz Carlton - you better call your family and tell them you're not staying there. She might be worried."

My heart rate didn't change at all. I was completely unconcerned for my own safety. Even irrational fears didn't make an appearance. Had I known that the Marriott lobby had also been bombed, I may have been a bit more nervous as I stood there in the Shangri-La lobby.

So I made a call to Cheesel. No answer. I thought "I wish I was dead now - that would serve her right for not carrying her phone around. I keep telling her to carry her phone around." Irrational fears may have been absent but clearly there was still some room left for irrational revenge.

Me: "Let's just hope it's not a coordinated effort across hotels, like in Mumbai. Remember how they targeted a few 5 star hotels at the same time? Taking pot shots at foreigners, right?"

Him: "Oh. Yeah."

Then we calmly wandered out through the lobby to get a cab.

When I got to the office I met the country manager for the first time.

Him: "Hey Anthony! Nice to finally meet you! We have given you quite an explosive welcome this morning!" [chuckles loudly]

Me: "All that? For me? Thanks. That's quite an effort."

Then I received an sms from my Indonesian colleague:

Him: "Sorry. Late because of bombs."

My reply: "They're targeting foreigners and I still made it. Get in."

I didn't realise he was actually at the Ritz Carlton, at a breakfast meeting. When he evenutally arrived to work Ifound out all the details of his hotel trauma, and subsequent trip to work, and I pointed out that he could have made it in earlier if he'd made it more of a priority.

It reminded me of when I was in Israel and a suicide bomber went off (if that's what you call it) a block from my hotel. Fucking suicide bombers: more like my personal stalkers.

Love to stay and chat but I'm off for a drink. I'm staying an extra day here to take in the sights. First time and all.

3 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

I thought of you when I heard the news, not knowing you were actually there, glad you're okay. What a screwed world we live in!

xox

Unknown said...

You would have to be a suspect by now. Even the dates you choose: 9/11 NY, 12/10 Bali, and don't forget the Edinburgh affair, then Israel, Mumbai and now Jakarta. Seems you are always around like The Jackal.

SinBBQ said...

I'll fucking Jackal you in a minute, old girl.