Pages

01 March 2010

Maid In Voyage

I can only assume that my maid's job hunting skills are as poor as her cleaning, so decided to give her as much notice as possible. I wrote her this email last Saturday:

From: Anthony
To: Hao
Date: 27 February 2010
Subject: Departure

Dear Hao

I want to give you as much time as possible. I am probably leaving Hanoi in April and moving to Indonesia.

This is not 100% sure yet and I also do not know the date I would leave. However, I am telling you now because I want to give you time to find other work.

I can write you a reference and help you advertise on foreigner web sites or supermarkets.

Kind regards

Anthony


This morning I received her reply.


From: Hao
To: Anthony
Date: 1 March 2010
Subject: Thank you very much

Hi Anthony,
Thank you so much!!!
Please advertise for me following your way. And I want to ask a favour of you. Shall you come to Indonesia to work in a long time or short time? If you ưant, I can go with you and after that I come back vietnam.
Thank you!!!
Hao

I found this funny. Then odd. Then scary. Then sad. Then creepy. Then sad. In that order.

How should I put this to Hao? Perhaps something like this:

"Sorry. I can't take you on international assignment with me. So how about I pin something on the noticeboard of the local Fivimart instead? I was thinking ... a handwritten piece of paper with some tear-off phone numbers."


In the end, I responded thus:


From: Anthony
To: Hao
Date: 1 March 2010
Subject: Re: Thank you very much

Dear Hao

My job in Indonesia will not be for long so this is not possible.

However, I will help you advertise on web site and at the stores. I think it will be easier to communicate if you leave your email address as contact?

Please let me know your hourly or monthly rate and I will arrange to help you.

Kind regards

Anthony


About 2 hours later I received the following email:


From: Hao
To: Anthony
Date: 1 March 2010
Subject: clean your room

dear Anthony.
To day ,when i come to your apartment ,i se your picture near main the door was fell down and brocken .
I had cleaned them .
good luck for you !see you soon !

I guess she really wants to come to Indonesia.

This story has 'Didn't End Well' written all over it.

No comments: