Pages

06 July 2010

Scissors

I received an invitation on my desk today from a colleague.

His son's face was splattered all over the card like an American milk carton. It was all in Indonesian so he explained it was a party for his son. This Saturday from 11:00-14:00.

Me: "Oh ... is it his birthday?"

Him: "No. It's his - umm - scissors."

Me: "Scissors?"

Him: "You know ... [starts peforming a one-act play]"

I'm not good at charades so it took me a while. An embarrassing while, as it turned out, but I finally got what he was saying.

This Saturday I'm going to a circumcision. A three-hour circumcision.

There are so many concerns I have about this but two in particular are playing on my mind:

1. What do I wear?

2. What do I bring?

3. Would it be impolite to turn up drunk?

I know that's more than 2 ... but who do you think you are? Maria or somethink?

5 comments:

Simone said...

I can't wait to see how this one pans out!

nancy1 said...

bring a bandaid.
wear something red.
get maggot.

Aotearoz said...

I was urged by BFF Simone to check out your blog... So I did. And like she said, it IS funny! My advice is
1. Wear red
2. Cheerios
3. Absolutely not. It may be unacceptable though - I'm not sure. Report back on this one.

:) Drew (Simone's bestie in Wellington Aotearoa).

Cheesel said...

Don't go. You are not good with blood and it might be like Murder on the Orient Express where everyone contributes to the cut.

SinBBQ said...

hi drew and thanks for the note and advice.

the result was:

1. dark jeans and pink shirt
2. money in an envelope
3. hungover and hungry

i guesswe could say i took roughly 40% of your advice, which is a good result.

as for the circumcision event itself, stay tuned ...