Pages

18 May 2009

Save the Potato

Less than 24 hours after submitting my entry for Potato (Slang), I received a written warning from a Wikipedia robot advising me that I had 7 days to justify myself or they would be Invoking Deletion Procedures.

The main issue seems to be that they can't prove I didn't just make this up out of thin air. How ridiculous. What other type of air was used for all the other slang in the world? What makes my slang a second class potato?

I read somewhere recently that a language is a dialect with an army and a navy. I think it was Stephen Pinker.

So I've launched a stay of execution campaign to help it survive beyond its remaining 7 days on Potato Row.

Firstly I referenced my self-penned tome: "Potatospeak: No Longer Underground." I then attempted to link it to a potato book in Amazon, which made Wikipedia go nuts with alerts and threats ... although a fake ISBN seemed to hit the spot.

This is just Viral Potato Marketing 101, so I've also included a reference to Urban Dictionary, after successfully submitting a new entry to them:

Thanks for your definition of Potato!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to publish it on 
urbandictionary.com.

It should appear on this page in the next few days: 
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Potato

Urban Dictionary


Much friendlier than Wikipedia.

2 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

we could start a petition?!

SinBBQ said...

too hard. writing a book is much quicker.