Pages

19 August 2009

Star of David

I've only managed to complete 3 of my language lessons. This is due to my recent travel schedule. That's what I tell myself and what I tell Hoa (my teacher). Hoa she doesn't seem too fussed. Hoa has done her fair share of postponing. In the past 2 months I have received about 5 late-landing sms's along the following line:

"hi anh anthony. am tired 2day so maybe not possible 2 do lesson".

The sms has to be written in English, which reflects poorly on both of us.

Nevertheless, I've been reading ahead in the book. Hoa's course is full of dialogue practice. She features as the primary Vietnamese character in most of it. This makes each lesson feel somewhat homemade - on the sweeter side of twee. It does, however, make me wonder how the University of Hanoi has found itself on the cover of the book and in the header of each page. Has the University of Hanoi really sanctioned Hoa to produce her own plays, photocopy them and schlep them out to potatoes for $9/hour? If things go sour between us I think I'll dob her in. Let her face a different type of sanction. I don't think that will happen because we meet so infrequently that there is little opportunity for a falling out. And besides I like her, even though (especially because?) she gets the giggles when I make mistakes.

Nevertheless, I've been reading ahead in the book. I am looking forward to lesson 6, which ends thus:

Anh: David, I'd like to introduce you Hoa!

David: Hello, Hoa, nice to meet you!

Hoa: Hello David, nice to meet you too! How long have you been in Vietnam?

David: 3 months.

Hoa: Are you here in Vietnam for holidays?

David: No. I work here.

Hoa: How is life in Vietnam?

David: Quite cheap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"good cheap" - ones existance, experience, values and morals all wrapped up into two words. The wonders...

SinBBQ said...

at the risk of disenfranching my only unsolicited fan ... you're not making any sense. quite.