Pages

29 September 2009

Jogjakarta

Knowing how close the Jakarta bombings were to my heart (and my hotel), I've been keeping myself up to date with the investigations.

Nevertheless, I found this latest article completely shocking. I couldn't believe it.

It details how highly organised and structured these bombings were "... funding, recruitment, spiritual guidance, welfare officers for jihadi families, and others who were assigned such tasks as securing explosives, looking after transport, making videos and acting as couriers and messengers."

That part was fine. Stock standard even.

The other part was not. The part where the suicide bombers were going jogging during their final days.

Jogging?

Whatever for?

The benefits from jogging are not immediately felt. It can take weeks (or even months) to feel the positive results from jogging. It can even weaken you in the short term with sore muscles. Or a bleeding toe.

When, exactly, were they expecting to reap the benefits from this exercise regime?

Imagine if a giant asteroid was going to hit earth in 5 days and we were all going to be killed. We've all imagined what we would do in our final days. Panic, sure. Alcohol, definitely. Debauchery, probably.

But jogging?

A lot more people have put a lot more thought into this than me. There are countless films about Armageddon events. There are traffic jams. Blackouts. Kids with dirt on their cheeks clutching stuffed toys. Black Presidents. White looters. A mandatory wealthy old retired couple serenely drinking tea on the porch of their beach house.

But never, never, someone putting on a tracksuit and going for a run.

Why would a suicide bomber - someone with a clear deadline - decide that the final days leading up to his fireworks display was the time to get fit?

What sort of a sick bastard could do something like this:

"Oh my God! We're going to die! Only 1 day left! Tomorrow! What will we do??"

-- "How's about a 5k run?"

"Sure. I've been feeling like bit of a fatty lately."

I don't think I like terrorists any more. They scare me.

5 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

funny!
xox

Benny said...

I think that part of their legacy is not only to show that Jihad has power, but that in the light of destruction body image is still important.

A healthy body is a healthy mind, and although these poor chaps blew the crap out of their’s, it is good to see that exercise was a part of their daily regime.

However, if I knew that I had 3 days left until the big bang, I sure as hell would be hitting the chocolate over the gym. Meow!

Cheesel said...

Jogging would not be on my to-do list if I knew what day would be my last. What am I saying? Even if I have another 10+ years, I still wouldn't have it on my list.

nancy1 said...

maybe the original plan was to run away really really fast (like cliff young) after detonation, thereby escaping the impact of the blast. maybe the problem was acually too little training and too much last-minute half-assedism. even for jihad you can't get good staff.

SinBBQ said...

how's about you put it to the test next time. ok then sista?